Winning with the Smith-Morra Gambit
This exciting gambit has always been a favourite with players of all levels who wish to obtain attacking chances against the Sicilian Defence. White gives up a pawn to activate all his pieces and obtain a whirlwind initiative which has in practice swept away even players of the highest standard.
This book, by a leading young English theoretician, covers in detail all lines arising from the acceptance of the gambit, and suggests a repertoire for White against Black's various methods of declining the pawn.
- Packed with new ideas from recent practice
- The most detailed coverage ever given to this gambit
- See how Kasparov nearly lost when he faced the Smith-Morra!
- Bobby Fischer, Nigel Short and Michael Adams have all played the Smith-Morra against world-class opposition.
1. Classical Main Line
2. Black plays ...a6 and ...Dc7
3. Lines with ...Ld7
4. Black plays ...Sge7
5. Chicago Defence
6. Fianchetto Defence
7. Early Developments of the King's Bishop
8. Black plays ...d6 and ...Sf6
9. Lines without an early ...Sc6
10. Miscellaneous lines
11. The Gambit declined
12. Black declines with 3...Sf6
Index of variations