The Philidor Structure
The information explosion has led to a massive increase in opening theory. But how often do you win a game with a prepared line? What gives strong players the edge over their opponents is not some blockbuster novelty, but a deep understanding of the pawn structures to which their openings lead - an understanding that lasts into the middlegame and endgame, and is transferable between different openings with similar structures. In this DVD, Sam Collins looks at the Philidor Structure (white pawns on d4 and e4 against black pawns on d6 and e5, excluding the King’s Indian/Old Indian positions which arise after White
plays his pawn to c4). While formed on the 2nd move in the Philidor, the structure is characteristic of many Open Games, including the Italian Game and, of course, the Closed Ruy Lopez. Perhaps because of the structure’s flexibility (resulting in completely different types of positions depending on whether White takes on e5, Black takes on d4, or the central tension is maintained) little effort has previously been made to define the plans for both sides. The structure is one which arises in a sizable minority of games in all elite tournaments, a fact reflected in the selection of games, featuring impressive efforts by the world’s best players including Carlsen and Caruana who owe some of their most important recent successes to stunning wins in this structure.
Video running time: 3 hrs. 31 min.
Sam Collins is an International Master from Ireland with two GM norms. He has represented his country at six Olympiads, winning an individual gold medal at Bled in 2002. He is the author of several bestselling opening books. As a coach, he has lectured national junior squads and taught the master class at the renowned Berkeley Chess School. He has been national champion of Ireland and Japan.
Pentium-Processor at 300 Mhz or higher
- Mega Database 2020-Upgrade CBM-AbonnentenSpecial Price 33,68 € Regular Price 44,90 €
- The CarlsbadSpecial Price 20,93 € Regular Price 27,90 €
- The Berlin WallSpecial Price 22,43 € Regular Price 29,90 €
- The Chess Player´s Mating Guide Vol. 2Special Price 22,43 € Regular Price 29,90 €
- Reti - a Repertoire for WhiteSpecial Price 22,43 € Regular Price 29,90 €
- 1. Sf3 – Ein variables Repertoire für WeißSpecial Price 20,93 € Regular Price 27,90 €
- Für Nimzoindisch ist es nie zu spät!Special Price 22,43 € Regular Price 29,90 €
- Mehr von ChessBase